Re: Flight Case Construction

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt on February 19, 2000 at 00:42:36:

In Reply to: Flight Case Construction posted by Shimshon on February 18, 2000 at 04:08:19:

I have a few ideas. About four years ago I worked on my schools submarine team, I was a tech-ed major, not music. Anyway we made the shell of the submarine out of the same resin that bullet proof glass is made out of, talk about tough. for the mold we used chicken wire and ceramic which had to be glazed and fired. After the plastic was cured we took the halves that were about 1/2" thick cut out two doors on top and bolted them together. I imagine that with some minor aluminum work, if you could find access to a brake press, you could very easily make a super durable case.
Just to tell you how durable the stuff is we beat the plastic with sledge hammers and even took them to a rifle range and shot a 30/06 at it. the stuff holds up well.
If you have any plastics companies around call them, they should be able to tell you how to get ahold of the stuff, it's pretty expensive. There are also books around that tell you how to work with plastics.
As far as lining the case I would recomend calling a playground equipment retailer and get blocks of the rubber they put under the swings and jungle gyms, and use that far an underlayment with softer foam rubber on top of it. There are all kinds of glues out there that will make the layers seem like they were poured in a mould.

just a thought
Matt

Follow Ups: