Re: CC fingering chart

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob Perelli-Minetti on February 17, 2000 at 08:20:41:

In Reply to: CC fingering chart posted by Chris on February 15, 2000 at 21:00:31:

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned two excellent sources of fingerings down to the fundamental pedal tones for each of F, Eb, CC and BBb horns: Harvey Phillips & William Winkle's: "The Art of Tuba and Euphonium" published by Sumy Birchard for about $16 and Donald Knaub's "Progressive Techniques for Tuba" for about the same price.

Both are excellent works for many reasons besides good charts. The Phillips/Winkler has very valuable suggestions on intonation tendencies, as well as lots of other good information on mouthpieces, warm ups, practicing and musicianship. THe Knaub has the Blazevich studies and lots of other excellent exercises.

I'd think every serious player (and even semi-serious amateurs and old hacks like me) would have both of these books in his or her library along with the Jacobs "Complete Arbans" and the Bell "Complete Method". Someone suggested W. Jacobs' "Low Register Studies" also. That is a good book. I am currently using it to reopen my lower register (the flexibilty in the chops at 50 isn't what it was at 20).

Follow Ups: