Re: 186-5U compared 188-5U

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on February 13, 2000 at 18:32:21:

In Reply to: 186-5U compared 188-5U posted by Concerned Consumer on February 13, 2000 at 12:40:33:

Winston has recommended them forEVER (His favorite, I would think, USED to be the 185 model, when they were still made, which was about the size of a Rudy Meinl 3/4. Twenty years ago, it seemed that most of his students bought those.), and the 186-5U that one of my students just got - new - sure is "light years" better than the one that I bought "new" in '74 (I'm a little jealous, even though I have been through about ten different CC's over the years), but I WOULD agree, no matter who the recommender is, that you should make your OWN (INFORMED) decision.

B.T.W., I also used to have a 188 (bronze bell and body with nickel-silver guts), and although it was not my "favorite" CC ever (duh, I sold it), it had the truest scale of all that I have owned. If you REALLY bug Miraphone in Germany, they can make a "Kaiser" (extra-extra large) mouthpipe that makes 186's and 188's feel a little more "open" without screwing anything up. Of course, that comment is WAY past where you are with your decision, but I just mentioned in F.Y.I. and "just in case".

Follow Ups: