Re: Need vs. Greed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bryan on February 18, 1999 at 10:40:21:

In Reply to: Need vs. Greed posted by Dave A. on February 18, 1999 at 09:46:54:

I would actually say the opposite is true - if you're never going to make a living playing the tuba, then by definition you're going to be making a living doing something else. In that case, why not go ahead and buy an expensive horn - you'll have it for the rest of your life and enjoy playing for the fun of it. You'll also be able to pay for it more easily! I probably will never make a living playing the tuba, but I truely enjoy my $13K Hirsbrunner. I'm much better off with it than buying several "piece of crap" tubas for the remainder of my life.

Also, I've bought and sold several horns in my life - I have either broken even or made money on every one of them that I have sold. In my opinion, most tubas (especially high-end ones) actually appreciate in value. This is due mostly to the fact that the list price for new tubas continues to climb every year. For instance, the list price of a Miraphone CC186-5U (the "Stratocaster" of the tuba world) has tripled since I bought my first one in the early eighties.

I say, you get what you pay for...whether you're a professional or not. Buy the best horn you can afford and be happy.

Follow Ups: