Re: Are Hirsbrunner cases flight worthy?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bryan on February 12, 1999 at 12:04:21:

In Reply to: Are Hirsbrunner cases flight worthy? posted by Steve Oberheu on February 11, 1999 at 21:30:35:

I have flown twice with my Hirsbrunner in its Swiss-made case. Once without incident, once I got a nice crease in the bell. So it's batting .500 I'm sure you'll have better results with the Johnson case. If you're in a bind and don't want to spend the money right now, here are some suggestions:

1) Put some rolled-up newspapers or styrofoam peanuts in a trash bag and jam it in between the bell and the edge of the case. (A little goes a long way) This keeps the bell from making direct contact with the case. Better yet, if you still have the big styrofoam cone that came in the bell when it was shipped to you, use it. They both accomplish the same thing.

2) The airline people invariably are going to place the horn bell down in the belly of the plane because it takes up the least amount of space that way. Get some stickers that say "This end up" and put them on the case so that the wheels are on the floor. This will help avoid damage due to the horn being slammed down on the bell during turbulence. (That is if the morons can read!)

Good luck.

Follow Ups: