Re: Ideas for an old man!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on December 26, 2003 at 13:52:39:

In Reply to: Ideas for an old man! posted by Perkdaddy! on December 25, 2003 at 21:42:38:

I recently tried out the new Jupiter 482, and was pleasantly surprised. It's a nice, compact horn that plays easily with good intonation. Quality has been an issue with Jupiters in the past, but I understand that they have been getting better, and know someone who has had a 582 for some time and is quite happy with it. It seems to me to be worth trying out at very least.

Another way to go would be to check out the shops listed on this site for a good used horn. I know that Dillon Music and Balitmore Brass have a number of horns available that may fit the bill. Give them a call because not everything is listed on their websites. When looking for a used horn, I would stick with a known brand, like King, Conn, Miraphone, Cerveny, Olds, Holton, or Besson.

I do sit next to someone in a community band who plays on one of those inexpensive, Chinese Jinbao tubas. It has picked up more dents than I would have expected for the age of the horn, but it actually seems to play ok, although his intonation is suspect at times. I would still steer clear from one of these "unknown" brands for now.

Follow Ups: