Re: Highest Note? and looking for a new tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Phil Stafford on December 23, 2003 at 22:31:53:

In Reply to: Highest Note? and looking for a new tuba posted by Eric Probst on December 22, 2003 at 19:42:53:

I read that post and immediately made a rude gesture at my screen (you know what I'm talking about).
In all seriousness, thats a great job with your range....I've been playing for 11 years now and I'm happy when I hit f` (right above middle c) on my BBb. The true measure of progress (which hopefully you've picked up on by the meaningful posts in this thread) is how WELL you play THROUGHOUT your range. I've NEVER had to play higher than bb`(again, above middle c) but I'm sure higher notes are out there.
Work on each note inside that range to make sure its a true range. I read once that brass players have three ranges: the range you have playing absolutely cold (sure-fire notes), the range you have while reasonably warmed up and under favorable circumstances, (sure I can play that note...I hope) and the Look-What-I-Can-Play range....only possible after months of fasting and extensive prayer to Tuba Deity of your choice. It's wonderful that you have that f`` (he says while making another rude gesture at the screen...) but you have to ensure that all the notes leading up to that are solid as well. Rarely will you see a piece that has a lot of solid middle range notes then all of a sudden hits that high f`` and comes back down (although now that I've said it, I'm sure there will be plenty of posts proclaiming otherwise). Rather, you'll have to play around in that octave quite awhile before that f`` shows up. If the only note you can play is that high note, the passage wont sound too good and nobody will care that you got the one high note out of the bunch.
If in case we're all wrong and you DO have a real range up to that f`` ( trumpet players call that triple g btw....equivalency note, not actual pitch)....then for heaven's sake.....DONT audition anywhere near me (Although I may have you beat on low range...)

Another note: For other readers....don't read this young man's post and immediately run to practice your high range....develop your low range first and the high notes will come. It's not like theres a heavy demand on High range tuba players (That's what the rest of the brass section is for). On the other hand, what other instrument has BBBb (or lower)? Know your job and do it well first.

Follow Ups: