Re: Re: Aggravated at Rock Vocalist

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on December 23, 2003 at 07:18:42:

In Reply to: Re: Aggravated at Rock Vocalist posted by De on December 20, 2003 at 08:54:06:

it's this kind of arrogance that really alienates the classical world from the 'real' world.

"...but has anyone else noticed that pop artists aren't even musical enough to write their own material?"

How many so-called 'classical' musicians actually write their own stuff? I don't have any statistics to back this up, but my guess would be that this number is probably LESS THAN 1%. Of that hypothetical 1%, most of them probably aren't very good at it. Of those few who are very good at it, even fewer have what it takes to make their music marketable.

...and even of those who manage to make themselves marketable, a good deal of them are marketting "crap"... just like the pop musicians.

but to say that " pop artists aren't even musical enough to write their own material? " is simply fallacious. While it is true that some of the most successful popular musicians don't write their own stuff (let's include Charlotte Church, Yo-Yo Ma, Andrew Bocelli, and Itzhak Perlman in this... after all, they're all very successful popular musicians, even though they apparently "aren't even musical enough to write their own material"), I'd say they're in the minority in 'not writing their own stuff'.

Take your local paper one week, go out and see local musicians performing every night for a few weeks... classical, jazz, rock/pop/vocal/folk/bluegrass/etc. and really think about which 'genres' are making worthwhile musical contributions these days.

food for thought.

Follow Ups: