Dolly/Cronkhite comparison . . .

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on December 23, 2003 at 02:22:29:

Hello, all.

Many people have posted queries here regarding Dolly and Cronkhite gig bags. I now have both and offer up my opinions about them in the hopes of answering some questions that some shoppers might have.

I have had my new Cronkhite leather bag for a few weeks now, and I have a few observations.

I purchased the catch-all size for a 186 in Dark Chocolate Brown and British tan. I also am having a custom, snap-on bag made for my K&M black folding stand, as there is no place for it as the bag is currently designed.

I paid $575 for the bag, extra pouch, and shipping. I ordered it through Steve Ferguson's website. (A direct link to the gig bag portion of his page is included below.)

Here is what I got for that money:

The bag is very well made, with excellent stitching and fit. It is a very attractive bag, as well. The padding is good, but could be thicker. (More on that later.) The zipper and straps are all very heavy-gauged and look like they will last a good number of years.

Glenn got the measurements for the current Alexander 163 from Tony Clements, and it fits almost perfectly. The only problem is that my horn is 45 years old. It has a smaller diameter bell that makes the overall length about 1.5 to 2 inches more than the current, larger-belled 163's. So my horn fits; but it is really tight. Since leather is good about stretching to fit, I am not really concerned about this. And it is my fault for not double checking the measurements, anyway.

The bag "rides" very well on my back.

The snap-on folder pouch is not leather, but cordura. This was a surprise to me, but again: I should have asked.

Now for a direct comparison.

My old bag is a very early Dolly Bag from 1995. I bought it from Orpheus Music in San Antonio, if that gives you any perspective on its age.

The Dolly Bag took five months and about a dozen phone calls to finally make it into my hands.

It came out of the box with four seams that were not tied off and were coming open. They would not fix it. It was a special-ordered side-loader. (At that time, Dolly only made top loaders.)

Despite the raggedy appearance this poorly-stitched bag gives, it has been the best bag I have ever seen for dent protection, due to the plastic sheeting between the cordura shell and the liner. I have done several majorly stupid things over the last eight years that should have banged the heck out of my very thin Alex, and have never picked up any damage.

Both zippers had to be replaced after only four years on my Dolly bag.

I never felt that the bag really fit my tuba; it is just plain too big. But the side pocket has always been of adequate capacity.

I like my new bag much better, but would have paid $100 more to have those plastic inserts under the leather, as it is thinner than I seem to remember the old RB bags being. The old ones were really stiff, whereas mine is pretty soft. I am worried about dents. (Only a little, however, as I am pretty careful.)

Steve was very good to work with and my order was in my hands in only two weeks. Despite needing a little more protection (a little, mind you), I feel that the Cronkhite leather bags are well worth the hefty price tag.

If anyone wants me to answer questions about these two bags to help them make a purchase, e-mail me off the list.

Four images follow.

Wade "finally got a leather bag and am pleased with it" Rackley

Follow Ups: