Re: Nerves?!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Darrell Pugh, DO on December 22, 2003 at 07:40:48:

In Reply to: Nerves?! posted by Jacob on December 21, 2003 at 09:36:35:

As a physician (OK, I'm a general surgeon, but I remember all of my general medical knowledge), I'd highly recommend AGAINST the option listed in another string about beta blockers. Beta blockers block the beta-1, beta-2, and alpha group receptors present on cells throughout the body. So, beta and alpha stimulation by epinehprine (among other things) lead to all kinds of effects--in your case, stage fright or anxiety, the "fight or flight response." I'm sure you've realized this can cause sweating, dry mouth, fast heart beat, shaking, etc. etc. Beta blockers can block these effects, but when they do, they block all receptor throughout the body. So, not only will it block the shakes, sweating, fast heart beat, etc with stage fright, the beta blockers can slow your heart rate too much, lower your blood pressure too much, etc. Not great things to happen on stage. I've haven't even mentioned the other bad possible side effects of beta blockers: fatigue, erectile dysfunction, severe heartburn, etc. Do you want to take beta blockers now? I assume you're a high school student? It would be rare that I'd recommend a beta blocker to someone your age.

I'm not totally against beta blockers for stage fright. They are very effective in severe cases, or when other methods of treatment (cognitive therapy, etc.) have not worked. You want to know what I've found the most effective for stage fright? I do a lot of public speaking and lecturing at the medical school, and over the years the thing that really helps is to keep doing it! The more you get up in front of the crowd and do your thing, the more comfortable you'll feel. Several people on this thread have already mentioned the importance of being confident in yourself and your musical abilities. That plus practice in front of crowds is all you really need. If you have any questions about the medical stuff, e-mail me privately.

Sincerely,
Dr. Darrell Pugh

Follow Ups: