Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teaching and reality

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on December 19, 2003 at 12:39:30:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teaching and reality posted by Kenneth Sloan on December 18, 2003 at 15:15:58:

I think we agree on much, but disagree on something quite important.

First, let me say that every undergraduate degree offered by any college or university should include a healthy dose of literature, composition, sociology, psychology, philosophy, history, economics, math and science. One is not educated without some understanding in all of these areas, and any person's life and career will both be well served by that education. It is disgraceful that a person can receive a Bachelor's degree without study of all the above disciplines. I was somewhat dismayed when I graduated that my computer science degree was a BA instead of a BS, but the more rounded education I received has served me very well, and the additional specialized courses have not been missed.

But having said that, I think it naive to dismiss the notion that education is also important in preparing for a career, and is often essential for students aspiring to achieve a particular type of employment. I'll be the first to agree that the right individual could have a degree in computer science, accounting, or oriental art, and I could teach them to develop software at a professional level in about the same amount of time; however, having completed coursework in computer science demonstrates the CS major's aptitude, showing me that she's got a very good chance of being the right individual. Perhaps the others have that aptitude, perhaps not. But there are very few jobs these days, and employers can be very selective. Why should I take a chance on the oriental art graduate when I have a CS grad who has demonstrated his aptitude?

My point is that for many careers -- even those that have no hard requirement for a specific degree -- the degree does matter. The prestige of the school, and the grades earned also matter. So, while it is the primary responsibility of colleges and universities to educate citizens, I believe that colleges and universities DO have a responsibility in our society to inform students as to the 'market value' of the diplomas they are seeking, and to help them choose a course of study that, in conjunction with a general education,will give them the best opportunity of attaining the employment they will later pursue. Deny them the opportunity to seek a less marketable degree? NEVER! But students should never be told that their odds of gaining a particular type of employment are unrelated to the degree they seek. It ain't so.

Joe Baker, who thinks that education and career prep can coexist.
===============
Note: to forestall the many examples of people who have gotten jobs contraindicated by their degrees, please note that I'm talking about likelihood, not possibility. Certainly, examples abound of people getting jobs without the 'right' degree; but there are surely many more who have been unable to accomplish this.

Follow Ups: