Re: Re: Re: Re: silver replating (first try)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on December 17, 2003 at 23:06:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: silver replating (first try) posted by John Cooper on December 17, 2003 at 19:18:51:

Everyone agrees (including me!) I was too easily impressed with the result on the worn bottom bow and didn't properly prep the flaked off spot.

No - the two problem areas on the throat and bell are completely separate. On the throat, a few inches below the support for the leadpipe, on the outside - is the dime-sized flake. I'll make it shiny and then make it silver. On the inside of the bell, near the rim, is an area which is more like the worn bottom bow "stain". The pattern leads me to guess that the bell was damaged and repaired - the "stain" (brass showing through a razor-thin wash of silver) appeared after the first serious polishing. It looks for all the world like someone took a pencil eraser that could erase silver and moved it back and forth over a 2"x3" area.

I'm guessing that *that* area will plate just fine - but I haven't attacked that one, yet. It's the only easily visible flaw and I don't want to deal with it until I feel confident of my technique. The other spots are completely invisible to any and all (except me).

One more thing...placement of the alligator clip. When working on the bottom bow, the strap ring was not too far away. When working on the throat, the brace for the leadpipe was jus a few inches away. I'm wondering about where to attach the clip when working near the edge of the bell. I suppose the alligator clip will fit (it's *small*) on the rolled edge of the bell...

Follow Ups: