Re: Cut Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sam on December 17, 2003 at 14:23:20:

In Reply to: Cut Tubas posted by Phantom Tuba Chopper on December 17, 2003 at 04:58:31:

My confessional.......
I've done 18 conversion jobs. Really none produced abject failures. They are all currently in use. Some require more work to play than others. I think the worst of the lot is a 4/4 Conn which had many intonation quirks as a BBb to begin with. I improved it somewhat as a CC.
I've not been totally happy with my three 6/4 conversions which came in as valve deficient 3-valve BBbs. They've turned out with the same characteristics of others' 6/4 converted CCs and in some ways better than a few original factory CC Holtons that I've tried. My disappointment probably stems from them not being up to the high standard of my Rudy 5/4 which is admittedly a very high bar to step over.
The 4/4 Kings that I've produced (11 to date) have all been quite good with only one having a bottom line G that's a little(maybe 10 cents) flat. Most have the G tending slightly sharp which is normal and, I believe, desirable for that partial.

Follow Ups: