Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why no more Getzens?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom on December 16, 2003 at 12:24:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why no more Getzens? posted by Joshua on December 16, 2003 at 11:49:44:

FYI, the Getzen isn't nearly as American as you might think...

All of the parts were made by Meinl Weston and I've been told the early ones got Nirschl valve sets. Even if they are not Nirschl, the valve set on my Getzen is not Meinl Weston. Then all of the parts were shipped back to Getzen in the USA and soldered together. Not very cost effective if you asked me.

Basically they quit making them in favor of the instruments with better profit margins (Edwards/Getzen Custom trombones and now the Edwards whatever-they-are-called 'modular' trumpets).

Despite their seemingly over-the-top-for-such-a-horn kind of price, they became very popular through their use in the Boston Symphony, Baltimore Symphony, Albany Symphony, and Canadian Brass, among others.

The design is American, if that's what you meant. Kinda funny (to me anyway) that the Germans had to build the production version of what was supposed to be the ultimate American tuba. As a side note, the original was built from old parts of Yorks and the like by Bob Rusk in a fashion similar to what Sam is offering, which may be something to consider...

Follow Ups: