Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Smaller mouthpiece for bigger horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Carter on December 12, 2003 at 16:37:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Smaller mouthpiece for bigger horn posted by Doug Elliott on December 12, 2003 at 12:28:29:

I agree with these general comments. Mouthpieces that work best for me seem to have a balance between the parts. If one part of the mouthpiece is larger it seems to work best if the other parts are larger too. Mouthpieces that are too far out of balance, such as a very big rim on a small cup, or the opposite, aren't as easy to get a good sound and often have intonation problems. This balance is often the reason why a modifiction to only one part of a mouthpiece may throw the balance off and may spoil it. For these reasons I've gotten better results with playing tuba with a stock mouthpiece, a totaly different mouthpiece for bass bone, and a totaly different one for tenor bone and eupphonium. I have bass trombone rims that fit tenor trombone cups, and while this combo might do for a little light doubling, it doesn't work for an evening of lead trombone in a big band. Ditto for tuba rims on euphonium cups-OK for just playing Bydlo, but not very good for a long and demanding concert on band baritone parts. In the long run I have found that you are better off just getting used to a mouthpiece that really suites the instrument you want to play.

Follow Ups: