Re: False tones vs. extra valves

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AW on December 12, 2003 at 01:02:23:

In Reply to: False tones vs. extra valves posted by Eric on December 11, 2003 at 17:07:41:

I use "false tones" with some degree of regularity. At first, I used them out of necessity, with 3-valve BBb and Eb tubas. At present, my main horn is a 5-valve CC. I agree that it's easier to play down low with false tones. The main differences I notice is that the resonances of the horn are wider using false tones compared to using lots of valves; that is the horn is literally less resonant. [An engineer (me) would say that the resonances have a lower Q.] Some consequence of this lesser amount of resonance are that you have a lot of pitch flexibility, for good or ill, and the notes can be started and stopped more quickly. It's also plain easier to blow through a shorter length of tubing.

A while ago in band I had to play some string bass passages on tuba. The part had very short notes down around the second F and Eb below the staff. When I tried fingering the notes with the usual fistfuls of valves, it was very difficult for me to articulate the notes as crisply as I needed to. I switched to false tones, and the problem was solved; the notes were short and crisp. My teacher tells me that, with work, I will be able to articulate better down low using the standard fingerings. That's good, and I look forward to being able to have a better command of the instrument, but meanwhile I had to play that part.

I had been used to tubas that had very useful false tones, from tiny Eb horns to the big Conn 21J BBb horns. My 4/4 CC tuba has great false tones. Last month I borrowed a Yamaha 4-valve 3/4 CC tuba for a week. When I tried playing the low F using valves 1&4, I had to pull the first valve slide to get it in tune. I thought, "how about using a false tone; it should be easier." I tried, but all I could get out of the horn was some pathetic sighs and mutterings. Obviously, not all tubas have useful false tones.

As far as I am concerned, anything you do that sounds good on a tuba is legitimate. Myself, I can use all the help I can get.

Allen Walker

Follow Ups: