Re: String Doublers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frederick J. Young on December 10, 2003 at 17:48:13:

In Reply to: String Doublers posted by Paul T on December 04, 2003 at 17:03:36:

I have been playing the string bass since I started the tuba. Antonio Bianco was my teacher. I played in many small and large orchestras including the Pittsburgh Symphony and Pittsburgh Opera Orchestra as an extra or substitute. Most enjoyable was Tschaikovsky Serenade for string orchestra with 20 string basses forming an arc behind the orchesta. Our conductor, Dr. William Steinberg loved the sound of string basses and tubas.

Anyone who can play all of the standard orchestral works such as Hayden, Mozart, Bach, Brahms, Berlioz, Beethoven etc. will find he/she is in very great demand, much greater than almost any tubist. The big problem with playing the contrabass is having a really good instrument and bow. It is very expensive. I don't and am forced to play on borrowed instruments which are only good when playing with a major orchestra. The amazing thing about playing the contrabass is that once you learn the literature, you don't need the constant practise required by a tuba. Instead you can regain most of your skill in a few days if you have to.

Follow Ups: