Re: Iraq Symphony Followup

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matthew Guilford on December 10, 2003 at 14:17:39:

In Reply to: Iraq Symphony Followup posted by Doug on December 10, 2003 at 06:11:51:

Yes, I did perform in last night's joint National Symphony Orchestra/Iraqi National Symphony Orchestra concert. Getting to the
specific point I am sure you are all interested in, I am sad to report that there was no tuba player traveling with the orchestra, nor is
there one back in Baghdad. The National Symphony tubist, David Bragunier, also played the event, and I must say that the Iraqi
musicians looked upon his tuba with amazement-as if they were seeing on for the first time. It is difficult to say if they actually were
(translaters were hard to come by), but at any rate, I think it is safe to say that the tuba is a rarity in post-war Iraq (most likely in pre-war Iraq as well). The Iraqi National Symphony conductor, who had also composed some selections for the performance, had
Dave Bragunier play the double bass part in order to fill out the sound in certain places. There was no tuba part because he had no
player to write for. Anyone looking for a gig?
In summary, it was quite in event in several respects. Politically, President Bush was in attendance and Secretary of State Colin Powell made some opening remarks. Yo Yo Ma offered his services as soloist, and when not in front of the orchestra, played on the
last cello stand with the combined orchestras. MOLA, the Major Orchestra Librarians Assoc., presented the Iraqi Orchestra with
over 500 complete sets of orchestra parts, plus additional scores, libretti, chamber music, music folders, and office supplies
as part of a global effort. Milt Stevens, NSO Principal Trombone, and I raided our personal music libraries and heaped a pile of material on them for their trip back home. I did include some tuba studies (Blazhevitch, Kopprasch, Bordogni) just in case a tuba
does manage to make its way to Baghdad.
I will be writing a more complete article for my website on this event in the near future, and I hope that you will take a look at
www.matthewguilford.com.

Follow Ups: