Re: reading and interpreting music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DS on December 10, 2003 at 11:37:35:

In Reply to: reading and interpreting music posted by bloke on December 10, 2003 at 09:02:28:

Interesting post! We had this discussion at our last wind symphony rehearsal, and there was quite a difference of opinion on what is the right thing to do.

Personally I am applying this to difficult pieces only and I am speaking purely from an amateurs point of view. I must say it has been very helpful to listen to someone else's recording of a piece just to get started and even get a basic "sound picture" into your head. For example, I had a much better idea of what to do with Grainger's Lincolnshire Posy (I think it's the second or third movement that gave me grief) after hearing a recording. In our upcoming concert we are playing Adam Gorb's "Awayday". Tough to get a grip on if you are sightreading (but it is a FUN piece - yeehah!)

I think that listening to a recording does not mean you HAVE to interpret a piece the way another artist or group performs it (although that would surely be a temptation), but it can sometimes point out things we would do differently.

Just my thoughts...

Dietmar

Follow Ups: