Re: reading and interpreting music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on December 10, 2003 at 09:41:05:

In Reply to: reading and interpreting music posted by bloke on December 10, 2003 at 09:02:28:

I think that the art of interpretation/imagination has already been nearly lost.

Now when a lot of people play something you get:

"I'm playing the 1st and 3rd mvmts like Player A, the 2nd like Player B, and using Player X's cadenza."

I'd much rather hear:

"I'm playing the 1st and 3rd mvmts more aggresively, the 2nd movement more subdued, and writing my own cadenza."

Unfortunately, because of recordings, we all have a type of "crutch" to rest upon.

My hat goes off to those guys who contact the composer if they are still alive to get the jist of the work, or those who commision new works to play, or even compose them.

While a lot of the new stuff sounds odd at first, it does demonstrate the capability for making music and ability on the instrument.

It would have been interesting to have heard various performances of the Haydn Trumpet Concerto when it was first written by various musicians.

Thankfully, I am ok at sightsinging, as I have recently stepped into a new realm of playing (to me) with a whole new wealth of repertiore. Without sightsinging/sightreading skills. I would be in big trouble.

Matt G

Follow Ups: