Re: Recommend a USB sound card?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Frederiksen on December 07, 2003 at 22:18:25:

In Reply to: Recommend a USB sound card? posted by Paul Gramann on December 07, 2003 at 22:01:02:

To keep this tuba related, I have been doing some Jacobs presentations that are Powerpoint based meaning I have to connect my computer into the sound system of whatever recital hall that this is being used. How would you like to hear a batch of noise instead of Mr Jacobs?

Anyway, computers are full of a lot of radio frequencies and some sound cards are pure crapola. In my case, I use a laptop which complicates the problem. To solve this, I use an Onkyo external sound card, yep, from an audio company, not computer. Problem is that I don't think you can get it anymore. Still there was some buzz on certain systems. To cut this, I made a trip to Radio Shack and bought a sound isolation block - costs $15.95 and they use it for car stereos. Also works wonders getting the buzz out of a subwoofer on a surround sound (I've done a ton of big buck audio installation work and this is a favorite trick).

Granted, for my presentation work, I'm doing overkill but I've connected a few computers to audio systems and found that the Radio Shack piece does the job - spend the $15.95 and try it before getting an external sound card. I have seen an external sound card on Ubid made by Harmon Kardon - have not tried it but it seems to be going cheap.

Follow Ups: