Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: PT-6

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Uncle Leo on January 08, 2003 at 11:19:11:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: PT-6 posted by mat on January 08, 2003 at 09:56:38:

Matt,

The extremes in a symphony are very extreme. An example is we just did a trombone concerto that only had 4 horns, Flugel horn and tuba. The composer had me sit in the bassoon section. I had to play even softer than the winds in the pedal register to above the staff. In a Mahler symphony such as Mahler 1, your first entrance, which is a low F after not playing a note for 14 minutes (depending on who is on the podium) could be a whisper. I had a conductor ask me to do it so it was barely audible. I thought he was nuts. However, when I heard the broadcast it was just right! As a pro if the conductor says jump, you say how hi. In other words you do as he requests. One thing I learned is if you play in tune with a good sound effort is minimal. I believe that is how the great players do it. I studied with one great tubist, and he told me he was ashamed of his early recordings. From a tuba standpoint they were amazing. However, he felt he was greatly over balancing. His reputation is that of one of the finest orchestral tubists ever. Find a great teacher who is a great musician and just happens to play the tuba. Good luck and Email me privately if you would like to continue this. Good Luck!

Uncle Leo

Follow Ups: