Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BAT-Specific Playing Techniques? Rick D?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 31, 2002 at 19:34:55:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BAT-Specific Playing Techniques? Rick D? posted by A very long posting! on December 31, 2002 at 18:59:54:

I realize that descriptions fail. But all we have are words, so we do our best.

As to differences in YM's, it is entirely likely that the instruments in question are indeed different. My YM has tight slots, a phenomenon confirmed by a previous owner (Chris Hall) whose credential vastly exceed my own. My YM has intonation quirks, a phenomenon confirmed by a previous owner who is a regular poster here. In fact, he found the intonation to be unacceptable, but I made physical changes to the instrument that helped in this regard so that it was manageable.

Yes, the players of these instruments bring different tools to the instruments and therefore have different experiences. But there are trends. Knowing these trends and the experiences of others helps us focus our own journey and thus reach a conclusions more quickly. I suspect my own playing style is quite different from Dale's, yet his use of the Miraphone Rose Orchestra mouthpiece on his Holton is the only reason I tried it on mine. Guess what? It worked.

Rick "who didn't think this thread was about intonation" Denney

Follow Ups: