Re: Re: Opinions & suggestions, Please.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on December 30, 2002 at 20:11:01:

In Reply to: Re: Opinions & suggestions, Please. posted by Roger Lewis on December 30, 2002 at 07:45:06:

I have played a YBB-621S or the past 6 years. I have play tested a couple of Werils.

In my opinion, Rick's assessment is about right - with a few modifications.

On whether the difference in quality is worth the $$ - well, it depends on how price sensitive you are and how much you value "quality". If you are a student on a budget, then the difference between $2k and $5k is significant. If you are buying an instrument which you expect to last for 10 years or more, perhaps not.

On being "a fan of the 621 in BBb", I've said before that the YBB-621 is a "niche" instrument. If the player fits the niche, then it's hard to find anything better. If the player can handle a 4/4 BBb without reservation, then you ahve to look harder for reasons to consider the 621. The Weril might still be in the game (because it's so cheap).

All I can say is that after 6 years, my 621 has done it's job of bringing me back to playing. I put a few dollars into it to make it a little better, and will continue to use it in special circumstances. Once my new King 2341 arrives, it will be more-or-less "on the shelf" - but it's not for sale. Among other things, I expect that eventually I'll feel incompetent to haul around anything heavier, and if I sell it I'll end up kicking myself.

Until I saw the most recent price quotes, I was of the opinion that it's worth more to me on the shelf than i thought I could get for it. Now I'm not sure that's right - but still I see no reason to part with it.

Hmmm - no big box from Woodbridge, today, so I'd better take out the 621 and practice...

Follow Ups: