Re: I have my eye on-----

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Collector on December 30, 2002 at 16:37:33:

In Reply to: I have my eye on----- posted by Asking for Advice on December 29, 2002 at 19:55:59:

There are several things to look out for when buying any old brass instrument.

1. The condition of the valves. Replating and fitting valves can be an expensive job and may increase the cost above any reasonable value for the instrument.

2. The pitch standard to which it was made. Prior to the 1920s instruments were sold in either high pitch or low pitch, or sometimes with extra slides or other devices to allow them to be played in both. High pitch slides usually can't be pulled enough to play in modern (A=440) pitch, and low pitch slides are often too flat for modern pitch. It can be difficult or expensive to lengthen or shorten slides enough to make them work.

3. The condition of the metal. There is no reason that a 100+ yr old instrument can't be in perfectly good condition, but if it has been improperly stored, has been dented and repaired too many times, or has been otherwise abused during its life the metal may be fatigued beyond repair, even if it looks good.

If the valves are good, the metal is solid, and it can be played in modern pitch, $200-$300 is a reasonable price for a King valve trombone in my opinion.

Follow Ups: