Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hard cases

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom B. on December 28, 2002 at 23:07:18:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hard cases posted by Get an MTS case on December 28, 2002 at 22:08:32:

I own two anvil cases and wouldn't have it any other way. Although not as portable as almost every other kind of case, they are made for your horn that you actually own...not one that is "close." An anvil case can also be built any way that you want it...handles, wheels, locks, etc., etc. They are the only cases that I would ever trust in an airline situation as well.

MTS cases are larger, heavier versions of the commonplace "molded plastic" cases. Although they look nice and are a lot better than some other hard cases, they are not designed to withstand airline travel.

UNITEC cases are ok, but have a very generic interior that may or may not work for your horn. Many horns actually fit inside the case in a very loose fashion. I believe foam blocks are supplied to build up the case, but I'm not positive.

Walt Johnson cases, which many consider to be the Ferrari of tuba cases isn't as great as many make it out to be. They really are no easier to transport than an anvil, they are just rounded instead of box-like as the anvils are. Walt Johnson cases also cost hundreds more than I paid for either one of my made to order anvil cases.

I you don't care about airline travel with your tuba, then go with one of the wood cases. I believe they are made by General Woodworkers in Elkhorn (???). They have been greatly improved in the last several years with cordura covers, edge trim, and better wheels. The interior is no longer as "bare bones" as it used to be either.

Follow Ups: