Re: Strange Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on December 26, 2002 at 00:55:45:

In Reply to: Strange Tuba posted by Noname on December 25, 2002 at 22:48:28:

I hate to sound less encouraging and less excusing than the other respondees, but the BEST aspects of your sound is heard by you in the big hall (since you can't hear it bouncing off of a nearby wall) whereas in confined quarters you hear ALL parts of your sound. The not-so-good news is that the audience hears your sound just like you hear it when you're practicing in your living room.

I used to be very dissatified with my sound at close quarters, as it had flaws. I spent an entire year working on quadruple whole note (60 bpm / 8 beat crescendo / 8-beat diminuendo ) on each pitch within my range, starting in the center of my range and working out to the extremes. During that summer (age 18) that "long tone" work got about 97% of the "fuzz" out of my sound. Other results of that strenuous pursuit were extreme improvement in pitch control at extreme dynamic levels, increased dynamic range, increased use of lung capacity, increased volume and volume control in the low range, and increased indurance. At this point (age 46), I think I've got 2-1/2% of the other 3% of the "fuzz" out of my sound - WHEN I PRACTICE !!!

I encourage you to do the "expanding interval ordeal" daily for a year. You'll be far more satisfied with your sound at close quarters, and you'll KNOW that your concert hall sound - to the audience - sounds just like that NICE sound you make in your living room!

A final note: After just recently judging the high school-aged tuba players for our regional honor bands, I can tell you that the weakest aspect of their playing - ALL THE WAY TO THE TWO TOP PLAYERS (the ones who will go to the All-State Band) - is TONE PRODUCTION.

Follow Ups: