Re: Re: Re: Did anyone play a new or tuba they liked

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on December 23, 2002 at 20:28:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Did anyone play a new or tuba they liked posted by Winny on December 23, 2002 at 19:00:29:

I didn't play the Rudy(where was it?), but as for the Conn and the Besson, I'd say they compare like apples and oranges. The Besson (to me) sounds a lot like the Yamaha 822, which I am NOT a fan of at all... a very vanilla sound that requires more effort than it's worth, whereas the Conn is ultra responsive to everything that you do. I would almost describe the Conn the same way I described the Gronitz F below, with the exception of the low register(which was still great, but not as flawless as I felt the Gronitz' was).

I spent about 40 minutes with the 54j, and probably about 20 or 25 with the 56j, and can't really say which I liked better.. the particular 54j I played seemed to be a better model than the 56j I played, but I'm not sure what I think of the 19" bell.. something about the 56j made me like it little bit better. I played a 52j at the UMI booth in Madison a few months ago and it was an absolute DOG, which points to some serious consistancy issues with Conn.

fwiw

Anthony

Follow Ups: