Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: finding a quintet

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 20, 2002 at 12:06:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: finding a quintet posted by Chuck(G) on December 20, 2002 at 11:55:35:

I played under a conductor in my Austin days who insisted that we move with the music. He insisted that this was the foundation for building a common sense of time. He thought that the more we moved the less he'd have to. I suppose it's a conservation of energy concept.

Of course, physics will tell you that if you use a stand as I do, every time you move forward or backward the mouthpiece will tear your lips right off your face. This is not good for one's musical output.

Personally, I think it has to be natural and completely unconscious. Affected movement (or lack thereof) of any sort requires concentration better spent on the sounds.

Of course, Mary Ann was talking about the required movements of some instruments that demand more motion than wiggling one's fingers.

Her thesis is interesting. Maybe that explains why you are so disturbed when you have to move the first-valve tuning slide during play, heh, heh.

Rick "leaving the office now for a trip to Baltimore" Denney

Follow Ups: