Re: ? on "different" jaw muscle problem

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on December 19, 2002 at 22:20:40:

In Reply to: ? on "different" jaw muscle problem posted by lisa on December 19, 2002 at 19:01:51:

Search Google for "tic douloureux" with the quotes around the two words (as I have them here).

My Grandfather developed this years ago and nearly committed suicide due to the unending intense pain in the jaw. He ended up having surgery to clip the nerve. This did not cure it totally, but it has become bearable for him. It causes him to cry a lot whenever he is alone. Cross your fingers and toes (and anything else that you can cross just for good measure) and hope that your friend does not have this condition!!!

Historically, this condition afflicted people to the extent of making them "bad" or "evil" people. Many authors have created wonderfully evil Bad Guys that are "bad but misunderstood" and driven to their excesses partially by this very condition and the ensuing insanity it might cause if left totally untreated. Two famous literary Bad Guys suffering from this condition that spring to mind for me are Captain Ahab and Captain Wolf Larson. The pain would affect their temper and judgement, causing bouts of extreme violence and unpredictable cruelty. (Hey - they were both powerful men anyway - the condition mentioned by both authors just added fuel to the flames, so to speak . . . )

It is treatable and only causes extreme behavior or suicide in VERY limited amount these days.

My Grandpa described the pain to me as feeling like having a railroad spike driven into his jaw and then frozen solid 24 hours a day.

This is an ugly condition. I hope that your friend is okay. Do the search. If that is what he has, educating himself will help.

Wade

Follow Ups: