Re: Re: Mirafone 186 vs. Rudy Meinl 3/4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ike H. on December 19, 2002 at 00:58:17:

In Reply to: Re: Mirafone 186 vs. Rudy Meinl 3/4 posted by Steve Inman on December 19, 2002 at 00:18:03:

I've settled on an older 3/4 Rudy after owning a large handful of Mirafones(& a Getzen), the last two which were a 185 and an early '60's 186. The 186 was a nice and mellow for a Mirafone, and had a big fat boisterous tone when pushed, but with the signature edge those horns have. The 185, while sounding huge in the studio, was not what I needed. It was a little too "out front" sounding. Then I decided to look for a small Rudy, which is, to me, in between the 185 and 186 in size.

I do mostly quintet stuff, and the occasional dixie or orchestra gig, and this one fills the bill nicely. It has a more open wrap and feel than the Mirafones, letting me find the notes a little easier, and has a more mellow "pungeunt" sound, still with some of the German character, and projects better than any horn I've ever had. I read an article by John Fletcher naming the small Rudy as a CC sounding most like his Besson Eb. This stuck with me as maybe a smaller horn with some bigger possiblities. So far it hasn't proven otherwise.

Follow Ups: