Re: Re: Scanning Music?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on December 18, 2002 at 16:19:44:

In Reply to: Re: Scanning Music? posted by J. Brady on December 18, 2002 at 12:23:19:

Any topic by the very nature of this board has been brought up by an individual contributor. But this board is public and it is read by lots of people, so when a topic is brought up it will get a broader and more broadminded treatment, than the original poster might ever have imagined.

What Larry, Mary Ann, and I wrote was not lecturing, but the presentation of a musician's approach to the original problem.

I have used Finale through a decade and more. Yet I must say that if anybody has given a bad advise within this thread, then it is you.

There recently was a thread on scanning software. I don't remember the the thread name, but nobody praised Finale for its scanning qualities. Scanning calls for so many corrections, that it basically is a waste of time compared to manual re-engraving.

And anybody having tried to transpose his/hers own parts by hand or by computer will soon realise, that this is a major waste of time.

Transposing whatever interval up and down from the original sheet music is a relatively simple brain function. The only skill called for is a thorough knowledge of the diatonic notation system and the ability to play in all keys. Not all jazz players are the best sight readers, but the ability to work in all keys among even amateur jazz players is at an amazing level. There is no reason why tuba players playing in other genres than jazz should not be able to do the same.

I might sound a bit harsh, but don't forget, that it was you, who took the first two steps in the wrong direction.

You might very likely not like what I say, but try to prove my opinions wrong. That will be almost impossible to do from a musicians viewpoint.

All the best to all of you!

Klaus

Follow Ups: