Re: Re: Latin solo recommendations?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 16, 2002 at 17:44:09:

In Reply to: Re: Latin solo recommendations? posted by Jay Bertolet on December 16, 2002 at 13:55:56:

One requirement of the comptition suggests that any transcription made especially for the competition would not qualify. That is that the transcriptions must be used as transcriptions in accepted concert practice, which is an "and" condition meaning that it applies always. It seems to me that this requirement eliminates almost anything that might be done for tuba, depending on how it is interpreted.

Also, I think Sensemaya and much other Revueltas would be eliminated by the prohibition of works originally composed for solo isntrument and orchestra. It sounds to me like they are doing this to avoid certain copyright complications, but there may be some other reason.

Frankly, I think the rules are rather perverse. In trying to broaden the horizons of hispanic music, it seems to me as though it is limiting them in practice by precluding many good possibilities.

I might give Sam Pilafian a call, and see if some of the stuff he's been doing with his Latin percussion buddies is available in print. Would a percussion section suffice as accompaniment where piano is required but guitar is accepted as an alternative?

Rick "who wonders what the objective of such contests really are" Denney

Follow Ups: