Re: Re: Re: CC St.Pete any news?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 16, 2002 at 15:08:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: CC St.Pete any news? posted by js on December 16, 2002 at 11:01:24:

I think I'll have to agree. I've played one, and it was more than adequate as a tool for making music.

Durability and serviceability are also issues, and I think it's important to get them with upgraded valve mechanisms and to take exceptional care of them to make them last.

I also think it's important to pay a reasonable price. At the same price as a VMI 2103 or a clean, used Miraphone 186, and more expensive than a Jupiter or a good Cerveny, they give away their advantage. I'd rather have the VMI, the use Miraphone, or the Jupiter at the very least. This is an easy choice in the BBb world.

In the CC world, though, things aren't so clear. CC tubas tend to be considerably more expensive than their BBb counterparts, just because CC buyers are willing to pay more and because of the smaller market. A completely playable CC St. Petersburg with an upgraded valve mechanism for a similar price to the current BBb models would be a good value, considering the lack of competition for C tubas of that type at that price point.

Of course, they may not land on that price point, and that choice is in the hands of their exclusive importer.

The consumer in me doesn't like the exclusivity. In a competitive environment, their prices would be lower. But working with Russian companies is apparently no picnic, so perhaps we should not be too surprised at who was motivated to make it happen, and what characteristics they had to possess to see it through.

Rick "was pleasantly surprised with the St. Pete that he tried, but who will not send a lamb to a wolf without warning" Denney

Follow Ups: