Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You Guys (&gals) Are Gonna Hate ME...:)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 13, 2002 at 15:15:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You Guys (&gals) Are Gonna Hate ME...:) posted by Fafner on December 12, 2002 at 15:41:27:

The movie "Gumball Rally" tells the Jag story accurately enough. At the start, the Jag would not start. In fact, it never started. But the Jagophiles working on it were praising the wonderful engineering and beautiful design as they tried to fix it.

Which reminds me of a statement made by Satch Carlson, when he turned down a speaking gig at the MG Owners of America meeting because they wouldn't pay him: "I know they have no money. They have no money because they spend it all on Castrol R, which looks and smells lovely on the garage floor, where it ends up after 20 minutes in the typical British engine."

Having balanced SU carberetors on 3.8-liter fixed-head engines and tried to repair faulty mechanical fuel injection systems on V-12 Jags, I can say with certainty that Lucas doesn't get all the blame. But I surely do love looking at the beasties (except that ugly E-type 2+2 coupe).

Rick "a former mechanic at a shop that worked only on Yurrupean cars" Denney

Follow Ups: