Re: Are there Holton 6/4 BBbs not cut to CC?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on December 05, 2002 at 21:46:04:

In Reply to: Are there Holton 6/4 BBbs not cut to CC? posted by Al on December 05, 2002 at 12:45:31:

Al,

The four valve front action BBb you inquiring about is the model 345, assuming you're looking for the one piece upright version.

Dan Oberloh has began building a list of owners of Holton 345/350/355 horns, in either BBb or CC, as well as documenting any changes that have been made to the instrument. While the general data will be made available, he will not be providing owner contact information to interested horn purchasers unless the owner specifically authorizes him to do so.

He has located about a dozen so far, and has leads on several others. I don't yet know the breakdown on how many of those are BBb and unaltered.

But, the answer to your question is: yes, there are BBb Holton 345's out there. However, they are very rare, and in my experience, tend to be sold privately with no advertising. For example, I own one, and I have quite a list of people who want to be contacted should I decide to sell it. I don't intend to sell it, but if I did, it wouldn't be on the board or in a shop.

Finally, I'd point out that by the time you acquire one and bring it into top playing condition...well, it's going to be expensive.

Good luck with your search.

Tony E

Follow Ups: