Re: Warning: Heresy!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Schultz on December 05, 2002 at 14:38:10:

In Reply to: Warning: Heresy! posted by Joe Baker on December 05, 2002 at 13:51:42:

I think it is pretty much the same all over. We have high school kids at our walk-in community band rehearsals from time to time. I say walk-in because there are no restrictions for membership. If you think you can play, then you can play. I think all they are taught is to play loud and never mind the unimportant stuff like intonation, dynamics, and technique. I'm not a pro but I can certainly tell the difference between music and noise. I get irritated, too! However, I recall the days when I was in high school (I really can remember back that far) and I don't remember being taught very much about the qualities of good music. Most of what I know I have learned from experiences with different groups. I have also learned to be tolerant and help these kids when I can. Another thing... most audiences don't know the difference, either. In the case of TubaChristmas, all they came for is to watch their darlin' grandson play his tuba. This is your chance to be a real inspiration to the kids who will be where we are years after we are gone.

Follow Ups: