Re: What Max. Hear Distance?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on December 03, 2002 at 20:04:01:

In Reply to: What Max. Hear Distance? posted by Volker on December 03, 2002 at 11:56:30:

Higher frequencies tend to be uni-directional. Lower frequencies tend to be omni-directional. So, the answer to your question depends on many things, including the direction the instrument bells are aiming when you approach the band. It of course depends on the relative dynamic levels of each instrument, measured at the bell with some standard reference (i.e. in dB for example).

Since I'm not an expert in sound characteristics or hearing characteristics beyond the basics, I'll simply contribute my experience listening to a local quintet in an outdoor venue -- completely open air with no surrounding structures whatsoever.

Sadly I don't remember the effect clearly from the front as I moved away from the group. IIRC, the higher-pitched instruments could be better heard at a distance -- perhaps because the bulk of the sound energy was "focused" or "aimed" directionally along the axis of the bell.

Interestingly enough, when moving away from the group to the side (90 degrees), at a distance of perhaps 50 yards, you could a very quiet brass quintet, and a very noticeable rotary F tuba!

FWIW,

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: