Re: Besson or Willson Euph???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alan Herold on December 02, 2002 at 22:30:58:

In Reply to: Besson or Willson Euph??? posted by Interested... on December 02, 2002 at 21:45:22:

I would buy the Besson 967. I sold my 2900 when Besson came out with the 967 because I love the pure core of the sound that the horn gets.

I think if you listed off the Willson horns, the Besson horns, the Yamaha, Hirsbrunner etc. that you'll find that you get just as many positive reviews on each horn as negative. What you need to do is...

1) DON'T be in a rush to buy a horn
2) Try out every horn you can get your hands on. Both new and used.
3) Find out what responds to you the best.
4) Get an objective opinion from someone about what horn sounds better when YOU play it. When you do this, make sure they listen from about 20 feet away or more.
5) Don't let cost be prohibitive. If you find a horn you love and it is more expensive then the one you had your eyes on, then save a little longer. Also, I'm sure someone on the BBS will know how to find your best price on a horn. E-mail me and I'll give you some shop names.
6) While waiting is good, be ready for an impulse buy AFTER YOU HAVE TRIED OUT MANY HORNS. You may find "that one" like I did and know that it must be yours.

I love my Besson. It is a great horn. Some people hate them, but I hate a couple of the big name horns out there myself.

By the way, check out the Meinl 451. Some folks don't care too much for it, but for a few, it really hits the mark. Check out the tuning on the Eb above the staff.

Best,

Alan

Follow Ups: