Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Afternoon at Brook Mays

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on January 03, 2002 at 22:54:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Afternoon at Brook Mays posted by Barry Guerrero on January 01, 2002 at 14:31:36:

A agree with you.

I borrowed a Willson CC that I sold to a friend to play "Pictures". On the loud parts, I was friggin' LOUD. (Willsons do that quite well.)

On that well-known VERY soft solo (diminished 5ths - with the basses and bassoons) I was determined to NOT sound like all of the recordings that I'd heard and instead BLEND WITHIN the sound of the basses and bassoons rather than covering them up.

At the end of the concert, two horn player friends (who were sitting over in the far right hand corner of the stage) came up to me and told me that the soft solo didn't project very well. I told them "Thanks" (and meant it). They were sort of puzzled at my response. I knew that when I was playing very loud, they also were playing very loud and not paying much attention to me, and when I played that very soft solo, they were expecting the typical boorish tuba player let's-drown-out-anyone-else-with-the-same-line approach.

People perceive based on expectations and previous perceptions.

Follow Ups: