Re: Education: Who Needs It?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on December 30, 2001 at 19:54:05:

In Reply to: Education: Who Needs It? posted by David on December 30, 2001 at 16:12:12:

The bottom line is that if you wish to teach at the college level, in any field, it is almost imperative to have a doctorate these days. If you want to "perform," in just about any field, a doctorate is often overkill. Having a doctorate doesn't make one a better teacher, and certainly doesn't make one a better performer, but colleges want their faculty to have them because it makes them look better in all the college ratings and to alumni. I know many people with doctorates who are currently teaching at the University level who I wouldn't hire to work for me because they have almost no practical experience. I know people with much less education who I believe would be much better teachers, but who couldn't get hired by most higher educational institutions on a full time basis because of their lack of "credentials." Is this fair or right? Probably not, but it just is. On the other hand, there are many Phds who are excellent teachers and practitioners, so having a doctorate doesn't preclude ability.

Now, the answer to your question is a little differrent. I think that life is about learning. I think it was Ghandi who said "learn as if you will live forever, live as if you will die tomorrow," or something like that. Education, or learning should be a lifelong thing. We all have something that we can learn, no matter how much education we have. I think that both performer and teacher need education to be the best they can be. That education can come in many different forms though, and need not always be formal.

Follow Ups: