Re: Checked archives, still have gig bag Q'n

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on December 30, 2001 at 15:24:59:

In Reply to: Checked archives, still have gig bag Q'n posted by Steve Inman on December 29, 2001 at 22:24:01:

Steve,
I have used a number of different gig bag configurations to haul everything from a small F to a 5/4 Rudy CC. My favorites were 1) Altieri top-loaders, for quality and comfort of lugging the horn around. 2) Humes & Berg Tuxedo leather bag, side-loader, which I used with a Hirsbrunner HB-2. 3) The original naugahyde bag that came with my Rudolf Meinl 5/4 CC back in the 80's, a top-loader that fit the horn just perfectly.
I think the top-loader, while it requires a "routine" to quickly load/unload, has been more durable, particularly the pro-line Altieri. Zippers tend to wear out, and are much more expensive to replace than the cord and backpack-style clip that Altieri uses. I know- I've had a zipper replaced on a nice bag before. To answer one of the other posters, when you use a top-loader for a front-piston horn, Altieri has a special padded piece that Velcro's over the valve section to protect the piston stems. Steve, please e-mail me.
Thanks,
-Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: