Re: Opportunities to play?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jon Brady on December 28, 2001 at 08:12:02:

In Reply to: Opportunities to play? posted by Jason on December 28, 2001 at 03:01:44:

I have been where you are. Why not go for it while you are young and don't have too many responsibilities. At least then you can know for yourself if you have what it takes. I eeked out a living for about 2 and half years. It was great, but I lived in a substandard apartment with no A/C and only a space heater. I think it was $250 a month. I drove a basic model pick up truck once again with no A/C. I had no retirement or benefits at all, but I did have fun. My suggestion is to indeed go for it. Take every audition you can and try to land "A BIG ONE". In the meantime, I strongly suggest you form or become a part of a Brass Quintet. I do not see much mention of this group on this board. It is truly a group in which the tubist has to be great. It will make you a much better musician than any other group, and it is an accepted group. By that I mean, whether many are willing to admit it, a tuba-euphonium quartet it a hard group to sell as being legit.

Now I teach and play as much as I want. I make a good living and at least I know I did have what it takes to be a performer. Good luck.

Follow Ups: