Re: Got Rhythm?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Clouse on December 27, 2001 at 20:57:51:

In Reply to: Got Rhythm? posted by Kid in the 'Burbs on December 27, 2001 at 15:59:10:

There are lots of things that you can do OUTSIDE the practice room too. I have an egg shaker (you know, those little plastic eggs filled with dried beans that you find at guitar shops) in the cup-holder of my car. When I hit the freeway and some good tunes are playing on the radio, I'm shaking along. This will only work if you are paying attention to both the time the radio is generating and the time you are generating.

Also, pay attention when you walk. Most two legged folk walk in time, with a steady beat. You may suddenly get clumsy as you start to pay attention to what's happening, but in a little bit you'll start to feel the rhythm of your walk. Subdivide in your head. This doesn't all have to come at once, but bit by bit make things slightly more complicated.

As I said, the stuff you do OUTSIDE the practice can pay dividends inside the practice room and these are just a couple examples. Practice with a metronome, but be creative with how you approach your problems. You may end up solving them faster outside the woodshed.

Good luck

Dan

Follow Ups: