Re: please help us!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Clouse on December 22, 2001 at 22:35:43:

In Reply to: please help us!!! posted by Kyle Cabral on December 19, 2001 at 23:27:11:

To understand the nature of western music you need to look at the history of western music. To understand vibrato, you have to understand the history of vibrato.

The first instrument ancient man had at his disposal was his voice. The voice is the foundation for all music across the globe, as the history of music stemmed from this one instrument. There is strong argument that the natural tendancy of resonating vocal cords is to produce vibrato. It then seems fair to say that instruments invented subsequent to singing would follow in similar style and practice as the original instrument. I theorize that a core of standard practice developed on voice, then migrated to other lyrical/melodic instruments, and from there the practice of vibrato became codified.

Having made a few dollars as a player, singer, and teacher, I can say the voice feels most NATURAL when I let the vibrato roam freely. Tuba, on the other hand, has no natural tendency for vibrato. What we DO have is a collection of standard practices from other instruments, and vibrato is one of these. Since tuba, and brass quintet, are both relatively new on the map, there is still great debate about different practices.

I feel that because there is no natural tendency for vibrato, play your ensemble stuff straight and get good at it. YOu should practice to be ABLE to play anything straight. Record yourselves, then learn the piece with vibrato (this may take a lot of group discussion and nit-picking) and record again. This may take several rehearsals to iron out this new style. After a little time has gone by (and you can listen objectively), get the quintet together to listen to the recordings of yourselves. Decide as a group on what you like. It may turn out that you like some vibrato in the lead trumpet, or when the trombone has the melody. It's all about learning and growing. Make it into a group discovery rather than a "right" and "wrong" answer you get from a web page.

Dan "The Hairiest Alto" Clouse

Follow Ups: