Re: perfect tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dp on December 22, 2001 at 00:37:11:

In Reply to: perfect tuba posted by me on December 21, 2001 at 22:46:23:

For me its a 5/4 CC, 20" bell dia, nice bell throat, normal-sized bore at .750, 38" tall horn. I'm guessing but I think when you say "like a CB-50" you are saying you want smething bigger (which the Bohm & Meinl pictured certainly is.) The Conn 56 as I understand is exactly the same "scope" horn as the CB50, same bell dia at 20", same bore size at .689, avg bell and bottom arch size. Remember this is the horn (in 4-valves) that Chuck Dallenbach uses onstage in Canadian Brass, "perfect" for schlepping on-stage choreography, "perfect" for BQ, and maybe for lighter rep. in orchestra or for playing in section in a band. If I didn't have a horn and were shopping for an off-the-shelf tuba close to what I "think" you're looking for, it wouldn't be the CB 50 or new Conns. I'd go with something like the Nirschl "4/4" but it's pretty much a custom horn and not that many are made so pretty hard to find a really sweet one off-the-shelf I bet. You might also call Low Brass Werks and enquire about the Gronitz PCM, plus THAT horn you can get in raw brass for under 6500-same thing though, low production numbers.

f.w.i.w.

Follow Ups: