Euphonium Mouthpiece Selection

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Mordhorst on December 20, 2001 at 20:31:16:

Hello all,

I'm looking to get a new Euphonium Mouthpiece.
So far I have used:
Denis Wick 0AL, 4AL, 6BL, 6BL-heavytop
(0AL, 4AL with, and without Mouthpiece Booster)

I have not been thoroughly satisfied with any of the above. I was looking at my mouthpiece chart that came with the Wick Mouthpieces, and I was looking at the Euphonium Mouthpieces, specifically the SM series. I noticed that the bore, is much larger, than on the Trombone mouthpieces -- which I have been using. By the way, I play a Besson 765, 3+1, silver plated Euphonium (non-compensating).

I think i've narrowed my search down to the SM series, specifically, the SM3, SM3.5, SM4 or SM5. I like a smaller cup diameter, for a better upper range. I'm not very much worried about the low range.

I am much more comfortable, and have a much better high range with my 6BL, so that's why i'm leaning toward the SM5, which is very close to the 6BL in cup diameter. Also, the 6BL has a bore size of 6.66mm, which is very small, atleast for my taste. The SM5 has a bore of 7.30mm.

Basically, I guess i'm asking all you Euphonium players, what mouthpiece you use, and what you can suggest for me? Please comment on the Wick SM series if you have had experience with them.

Also, I have not necessarily set my mind on getting a Wick Mouthpiece. Could you suggest some others that are similar in the sizes that I mentioned above?

I know that somewhere you can order three mouthpieces, try them out, and send all three back, or keep one and send back the other two. Where might I find a service like this, Dillon, Woodwind and Brasswind, maybe?

Thanks in advance,
Dan Mordhorst

Follow Ups: