Re: PT-6 and that darned D!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph on December 20, 2001 at 18:58:38:

In Reply to: PT-6 and that darned D! posted by Jim C on December 19, 2001 at 21:09:16:

Low D comes out fine on my horn. Can you buzz a low D? The mere act of attempting to buzz that low may get things working a little better on the horn. Also, you might try making some low legato etudes(rochut down two octaves) a part of your daily routine for a while and see if that helps. If you do remington style long tones and flexibility type stuff you might consider playing those patterns beyond the typical stopping point of low F#. Don't fight the inherent resistance down there make use of it. It can be your friend if you have the right attitude.

I respect Joe S. but I would continue to articulate the low D normally. I want sounds to come out of the bell exactly when I tell them to... not when my lips are dog gone good and ready. However, on the topic of tongue placement, it is very common to articulate lower in the oral cavity as one descends in pitch. Experimenting with tongue placement may be in order. Don't be afraid to try things that seem weird or that you think are wrong. The sound will tell you when it's right.

Another possibility is that your slides are set up all wrong and your ear wanting to play in tune is messing with response. Email me off list for token advice on slide settings if you think that could be it.

That's all I've got -brain now empty.

Just my opinions.. subject to change,
joseph

Follow Ups: