Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: please help us!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 20, 2001 at 15:49:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: please help us!!! posted by vibrato interesting subject on December 20, 2001 at 15:37:34:

The vibrato used by some singers is one of the reasons I find some choral music annoying. But that's a matter of execution rather than choice.

But singers also have a different objective in their sound. I've never heard a vocal group line up pitches so that even with soft dynamics, the building structure starts to move. Brass groups can do that (if only they will).

It's also why I've never heard synthesized brass quintet music that didn't make my flesh crawl. Even temperament is not what brass ensemble tuning is all about.

But I think mostly it's because of the type of music brass ensembles play, which is somewhat over-represented (depending on your perspective) by Renaissance and Baroque works that to me sound best on organ. And who wants to hear vibrato on an organ?

I wonder to what extent vibrato was invented to help musicians cover for intonation inaccuracies. With straight tones, there's no room to hide. Even I can hear the problems.

Rick "who might feel differently if he could do vibrato really well" Denney

Follow Ups: