Re: What model tuba ? 1 or 2 piece leadpipe?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 20, 2001 at 12:23:41:

In Reply to: What model tuba ? 1 or 2 piece leadpipe? posted by Leadpipe Survey on December 19, 2001 at 20:19:31:

The first thing I think you need to do is define "leadpipe." Some tubas with long tubing from the mouthpiece receiver to the first (or fifth) valve reach the full bore of the instrument well before reaching that valve. In a tuba with a different valve arrangement, the same leadpipe taper could be much shorter. A joint in the leadpipe tubing after that tapered section is likely to have no more effect than a well-made joint in any section of tubing. Making a good joint in the tapered section is also possible, just harder.

My York Master has an 11" leadpipe from receiver opening to first valve ferrule, all in one piece. My Miraphone 186 BBb has a 27" leadpipe, all in one piece, but it reaches the full bore well before it arrives at the first valve; in fact, the straight section is long enough to install a fifth valve.

Rick "whose project tuba has a two-piece leadpipe, but for reasons better left unsaid" Denney

Follow Ups: